Ham & Bean Soup
- Ham Bone (with some meat left on)
- 1 large carrot in large diced pieces
- 1 stalk of celery in large diced pieces
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBS whole dried cloves
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 6 peppercorns or fresh ground pepper
Create stock by adding all ingredients in large pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1-2 hours. Remove carcass and pick off meat. Strain the rest of ingredients through cheese cloth, discarding veggies and bone (save any remaining meat). Refrigerate meat and stock separately for 24 hours covered. Remove fat that moves to the top of the stock after 24 hours. Store in freezer bags and remember to date each bag.
- 1 large onion-diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 potatoes-peeled and diced
- 1 celery-diced
- Leek (rinsed and sliced)
- 1 Package of dried Beans (I use the mixture of 10 beans for this soup)
- Leftover ham from bone (additional ham can be added to taste)
- Any other veggies you would like
- Pinch of Ground Nutmeg (I prefer fresh)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Follow the instructions on the bean packaging. This will show you how to properly soak and prepare the beans for cooking.
Add stock to a large pot and the beans that have been soaking. Simmer until beans are tender. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, celery leek and ham. Simmer until veggies are tender. Additional veggie stock or water can be added is more stock is needed. Skim any foam that rises to the top and discard. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is great for a cold Sunday evening dinner. Serve with warm crusty bread.