Pickled Onion, Blue Cheese, and Berry Salad
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, divided
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar, divided
- 2/3 cup thinly vertically sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (4-ounce) packages baby mixed herb salad
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh raspberries
1. Combine 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 1 tablespoon agave in a small bowl. Add onion; toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes; drain.
2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon agave, mustard, pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add salad greens; toss gently to coat. Arrange about 1 cup salad on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon cheese, and about 6 raspberries.
Thanks to Cooking Light and Barb Montoya for sending me this recipe. It is healthy and a wonderful summer salad. If you cannot find Agave (located in the baking aisle) you can substitute Honey. To use for a buffet: this will serve at least 16 people.