- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 10 fresh, large, seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced Zucchini
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons of fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 cups shore lunch seasoning mixture
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup canola oil, for frying
- Zucchini, sliced lengthwise about 1/4-thick using a mandolin. Make sure to get enough zucchini for 8 to 10 slices depending on the size of the zucchini. This will make about 2 layers of the lasagna.
Cheese – Use any combination of the list below
- Sharp Cheddar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, and cook until translucent. Add remaining ingredience. Stir with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
For the zucchini: While the sauce is simmering, fry the zucchini. Place the shore lunch seasoning mixture on a flat dish. In a medium bowl, mix the egg, salt, pepper with a fork. In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil. Coat the zucchini slices with the egg mixture and dredge in the shore lunch. Fry until golden brown. Remove each piece, placing on a tray lined with paper towels.
Spread sauce over the zucchini. Sprinkle with you combination of cheeses. Repeat layering the zucchini, sauce and cheese.
Cool the lasagna for 15 minutes.